A Photography Blog

/rachel hulin

Miscellaneous

Late Night “Whoa” Moment: Julian Wolkenstein.

horse1.jpg
I very, very much wish I had made these images. But Julian Wolkenstein did. And he did it awesomely. Check out the method behind this horsey magic at FStop Magazine.

Favorite quote:

“One of the things we learned from the test shoot is that a horse’s headis incredibly big and you just need buckets and buckets of hairextensions, double or triple what you think. The stylist scoured Londonfor all of these hair extensions. I braided the horse’s hair and usedcolored beads in it. Some of this was done before hand, but most wasdone on the actual day of the shoot.”

horse2.jpg

horse3.jpg

Neighhhh, Florence.

34 comments

1. Ziv - October 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Sometimes, a horse just wants to feel pretty…
    Ziv

2. Angus R Shamal - October 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Through a horses eyes all the set around them seemed 3 times bigger (i think). Boy how flattered they must have felt. Great photos… even though animal shoots make me go hmmm…

3. Bets - October 15, 2008 9:54 pm

These are great! Tumbleweed and Annie want to wear pretty wigs too! Slick says “no way!”

4. Ugge - October 16, 2008 6:34 am

The first horse looks like Cher, hahaha!

5. Tron! - October 16, 2008 10:22 am

Is that first horse “Rick James…Bitch”?

6. Kelly - October 16, 2008 2:34 pm

I’ve seen stuff like this at horse shows.

7. M. Scott Brauer - October 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Oh man…these are great. I raise you some hair hats: http://www.uchu-country.com/works/hairhats.html

8. Natalie G. - October 17, 2008 2:20 am

That’s really amusing! Nice photos!

9. anonymous - October 17, 2008 11:37 am

Straight bullshit. You people don’t respect any damn thing or any living creature. They are all just objects for your sick entertainment.

10. ginger - October 17, 2008 10:03 pm

Think it wonderful amazing i find it beautiful that we have talent like this wonderful job!!Enjoyed seeing this art!

11. anonymous - October 17, 2008 10:54 pm

That aint no gotdamn talent. It’s a gotdamn shame that you see it as talent, too. Those horses are probably crying for some real HUMAN attention. Not to be used as objects for the sick enjoyment of a few.

12. art lover - November 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Nice racial stereotyping. The lighting needs a lot of work.

13. Steve Boyle - November 12, 2008 1:55 am

Love these!

14. deb - November 16, 2008 11:06 pm

looks like photo shop to me! ;)

15. Spektakulo - November 26, 2008 7:23 pm

People that into horses are perverted degenerate fuck heads. I lived next to one of them and she would lasso people off motorcycles while chasing them on her horse. Oh she was also a jew!

16. Michelle - February 13, 2009 12:44 am

I can’t believe these nasty comments! Grow up, people!
    I agree the lighting is not the best. The wigs are funny, tho.

17. Hannah ivy <3 - February 15, 2009 5:39 am

Aww (L)
    that one with the white-blonde hairs a propah beuty (L)
    x3.
    thee end one made me LOL :)
    i love horsees too bits x3
    cyaa
    too uuse with the nasty comments (:
    “why leave a comment if your gonnah be nasty ?
    why waste yeh time eh ?”
    (: cyaaaaa!

18. James - February 24, 2009 9:13 am

Very creative and entertaining!
    Nice to see some morons came out to tell the world what they think, they always do!

19. Christine - April 10, 2009 7:17 am

These are stunning. Have you tried styling dogs? Where can I purchase prints?

20. Eva - April 13, 2009 11:42 am

Awesome!
    I live among a herd of horses and must tell you that horses love kind attention. My guys stand still, let me braid them, scratch them, or just fuss with them, and when the have enough, they move on…unless I ask them to stay – they comply.
    They are not held down or tied and if they leave – they are no repercussions.
    So – I can put your minds (collectively) at ease…their faces, eyes are relaxed…their ears show you that they are interested – not scared.
    I think this project is awesome, and funny to us naturally, but it also brings to light that horses are cool creatures and not just livestock, and there are rescue horses out there, who look absolutely smashing once someone fusses with them.
    I think – it’ ALL good! Congrats to Julian Wolkenstein! Keep doing this! Sometimes it’s needed to humanize an animal to help humans relate better to the companion-animal-horse, and not to the sports-equipment-horse.
    No-one would send these photographed creatures to slaughter and eat them..right? It would be quite difficult!

21. Rebecca Lerwill - April 14, 2009 1:39 pm

Great photos! I used to have a Frisian mare, her black mane went clear down to her chest. I wonder which hairstyle would have suited her.

22. Jasmijn - April 14, 2009 2:22 pm

These aren’t wigs: they actually braided, extended, or styled the horses’ manes. And, by all accounts, the horses enjoyed the fuss and the grooming.
    I must say I’m a bit surprised at some of these comments. Relax, people!

23. Ryan - April 20, 2009 9:41 pm

i think its hilarious, and i think its even more hilarious how people think this is torture.. wanna know torture? i work with horses everyday and when those things stomp on your foot when your trying to shave the hair out of their ears.. they deserve this.. or a good slap.

24. bailey wells - April 24, 2009 11:22 am

FASHION STAR FILLIES!!!!

25. s. - April 27, 2009 5:40 pm

My little pony, my little pony….. *hums*

26. eleonora - May 20, 2009 8:31 am

ke belliiiiii!!!!! amo i cavalli …io ho un pony ke si chiama pegaso…. propio belliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

27. julie the clip on extensions girl - October 2, 2010 9:29 pm

In my honest opinion all these horses look so cute with hair extensions or wigs on them :-0)
    I love the first pic actually in which the horse put on a twist braid hair extensions and the blond horse looks sexy heheh.

28. KAT - December 11, 2010 11:37 pm

I absolutely love these photos and the thought behind them. My horses are so used to getting their pictures taken that when one accidentally gets out, the best way to get him back is to grab the camera and aim at him. He can’t seem to help coming back to ham it up. I’m sure these horses had a blast with all the attention, and that they weren’t ridiculed by the rest of the herd. I’m with you; why not? It’s fun.

29. hairdressers glasgow - March 10, 2011 8:30 am

So funny! Horse with braided hair and more! I’m loving these!

30. braid hair extensions girl - June 9, 2011 9:46 pm

great lengths hair extensions

clip on hair extensions

31. yxyhzintafaj - June 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Yeah, here try to tell me with preorgasmicsplendor. Hey, i still.

32. waffyvobejyk - June 17, 2011 9:14 am

Barbara had an inkling that closed off her skirt.

33. wocesl - June 17, 2011 9:45 pm

She thought, smooth ever since he had strings of my mind raced.