A Photography Blog

/rachel hulin

Interviews

The Plight of the Unpaid Photo Intern (Continues).

Who here was ever an unpaid intern for a photographer? OH, all of us?! Well, then we know it can be pretty awful (unless you’re working for Andy French).

A buddy of mine, Sophia, just finished her first, fabulous unpaid gig for a undeserving individual. She did not enjoy the job.

Let’s help Sophia get at least something out of this; watch her video and vote for her so she can win $500 to Macy’s for telling her worst work/intern experience.

Oh, and feel free to tell us here about YOUR worst experience. I bet there are some doozies.

PS THIS WAS NOT ANNIE LEIBOVITZ.

8 comments

1. Q - July 30, 2010 12:09 am

How do we vote? Give it a thumbs up on YouTube?

2. anooon - July 30, 2010 2:55 pm

I would love to know who A is….

3. Carol Martin - July 30, 2010 7:40 pm

“A’s” behavior shows that the world of internships is populated with exploiters. One should have to demonstrate certain standards before being able to use unpaid interns.

4. Frank - July 31, 2010 1:18 am

Annie Lebowitz.

5. Paul Byun - July 31, 2010 4:33 pm

Anni Leibovitz

6. Phil De Jong - August 5, 2010 9:04 pm

Tickling someones feet is hardly something to be bitter about. If you feel you are worth more/above such abuse and menial work then go out and make something of yourself. If the employer is that terrible, leave, it’s not as though you will be without a paycheck next week.

The unpaid internship shouldn’t exist, but it does because individuals like “alex” are willing to partake.

7. yoggi bear - August 15, 2010 7:51 pm

This sounds “Exactly” like indira cesarine http://www.indiracesarine.com

8. Indira Cesarine - September 7, 2010 2:25 am

Interesting to hear all the complaints about internships. If I had the opportunity to intern when I first started I would have jumped at it, but it was impossible to get internships with established photographers when I started – especially for female photographers. I think that many interns forget the free education they are getting working with photographers – I teach my interns how to professionally retouch, how to edit using final cut pro, and many other programs they don’t know when they start. Many interns surprisingly even after several years of photography school have no idea what they are doing technically or with lighting, and are getting a very valuable education working at my studio. In fact many times I thought I should charge them for the amount of teaching I do as so many are so inexperienced.
    I have never asked an intern to tickle a models foot, and would never ask them to do anything inappropriate. I think some of you need to wake up and realize how competitive this business is, and if you can gain valuable experience interning, then you should appreciate it not complain about it.

Best